Saturday, June 13, 2009

Shadows and Fog

I'm going to write something here which would probably be better left unrevealed, let alone confessed to potential thousands. And that is that tonight, I almost fell victim to a credit card scam.

Upon returning from my picnic, I found an email in my box claiming to be from a secret admirer. There was something ungolden about the email which in my mind lent it some credence, though I was wary. Anyway, I followed the link and entered some information in edit boxes including, stupidly, my card number. Clearly: not wary enough! Well, I was tired and at least half hoodwinked. Once I had completed the form I was lead to a congratulations screen and a "Members" link which, big sodding surprise, didn't work.
Well, I instantly dialed my bank's 24 hour customer service line and cancelled the card. But I followed up with a little email to the supposed yahoo address of my secret admirer, which, again no surprise Sherlock, turned out to be spoofed and bounced within five minutes of sending it.

None of this is in the least mysterious or bothersome. I was curious and flattered, and it is late, and the phony claimed to have an athletic build. It is not surprising that a gay man would go for a secret admirer who claims to have an athletic build. What is a little bit baffling is that the phony claimed to be a brunette rather than a blond, and to be 5 foot 6 rather than, say, 6 foot 4. Now THAT was the really artistic aspect of this little flimflam. If the pretender had claimed to be a Matt Damon lookalike, I would have instantly tossed the email. But 5 foot 6? Well, Christ, of course I had to look into it. I'm still a fool. But after all, who isn't a little bit of a fool for romance?

No comments: